My dear family

The branches that spread The leaves that mould The fruits that strengthen The roots that hold Family - a unique bond!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Life is a journey. Words - wonderful way of communicating to highlight this journey of life. I play with words. I ponder on life. I believe in Love and I aspire peace. The journey is on....

Sunday, July 02, 2006

The Grandparents

I was fortunate enough to see both my grandma’s but only one grandpa! My mom’s dad died when she was still in my grandma’s womb! And my dad’s dad died when my bro was in my mom’s womb! Strange that!

My mom’s mother was this old lady ever since I remembered. I guess having gone through a lot of ups and downs (major downs actually) she became older much before her age! She had cat eyes and was extremely fair. I am sure she was one beautiful lady in her younger days. My Dads mom is still living but can barely hear or see now! Old age rips you off all the glory and sometimes I wonder if I will live to be that old? I look like her – my dad’s mom. My father says this when he looks at me “look God sent my mother back to me even before he took her away” Hmmn. I guess that’s his love for his mother speaking. My dad’s father died a week before my brother was born so my brother never got to see grandpa. But I did! Again just like my maternal grandma I remember him as being old all through my life. He use to work on the ship, but ever since I started understanding what grandparents are I remember him teaching Quran to little kids in the village home whenever I went for a visit. He got sick and then died. My maternal grandma was paralyzed, sick and then died. I was here in Dubai when both died though the gap between the two deaths was more than 10 years!

I am not sure when I will be back again in India, but I do hope that I get to see my grandma (dads mom) one last time!

Old folks showing stories of years in their wrinkles which crinkle further into a smile when they see their grand children! Somehow I can never be funny when I talk of them. They always bring seriousness to my words – I guess the fact that most of them are gone and the one left might leave soon too makes it a sad memory!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home